Sunday, November 15, 2009

Refueling on Sportswriter Hate

Today I will be hating on Bill Simmons--ESPN's "Sports Guy," which is undoubtedly one of the most clever nicknames ever devised for a sportswriter. Here's the thing about Simmons: you know what you're going to get with him. Too many pop culture references aimed at people in their 30s that he seems to think are hilarious but which just get grating and gimmicky after a while. Sycophantic "mailbags" where his legions of mindless fans send him emails with the general outline of 'question about sports thinly veiled as annoying praise of Simmons and an attempt to get him to like me if only in a pseudo-internety kind of liking way, phrased exactly how he would phrase a paragraph in his own column.' Boston shit. Stuff just reminds him of the 86 Celtics all the time and he will randomly just throw away column space on the Patriots at times. Podcasts that are occasionally interesting and funny, unless he calls his buddy Jacko the Yankee fan--having listened to a couple of these Jacko podcasts I can safely say that my personal hell, if there is a hell to which I shall be relegated at the time of my dying, is listening to a Red Sox and a Yankee fan, neither of whom have any knowledge of baseball beyond shit that Dan Shaughnessy or Mike Lupica would write, debate who is more worried about their ridiculously wealthy well-run teams that are virtual locks for playoff spots year-in and year-out.

But the thing is--Simmons is not that bad. He's a decent writer and he genuinely has some interesting insights about sports sometimes (but not baseball, he should just ignore baseball at this point) and he's kinda funny. And so, despite the reservations about him that I have listed above, I do check out Simmons' page at ESPN on a fairly regular basis.

And then he goes and writes a steaming pile of shit like this. In case you don't want to click through, his column is called "Running on sports-hate empty"; hence the title of my post here. It's basically a post about how 3 of the athletes he hates the most--Kobe Bryant, A-Rod, and Peyton Manning have earned his begrudging respect and forced him to reconsider his "hate" for them. Fine, whatever. Pretty trite, but they can't all be doozies. The real problem here, though, is not the idea, but the content. E.G.:

"If you're not familiar with the term, "sports hate" is an underrated part of fandom. Everyone has guys they don't like, and more importantly, guys they enjoy not liking. The reasons are unique to us. There doesn't have to be anything rational about it. Sports hate can be triggered by one incident, one slight, one game gone wrong, anything."

If I'm not familiar with the term? Huh? As if this is a term in common parlance or is regularly used by a certain group of individuals here. I think it's pretty self-motherfucking-evident what you're talking about so don't treat me like I'm stupid and don't try to make "sports hate" seem like a "term" that you or someone else has coined because it's not. It's two words that mean what they say: hate related to the realm of sports. God, don't be such a douche Simmons.

Anyway, he then proceeds to talk about A-Rod finally being clutch in the postseason this year, because like many "stupid fans" he doesn't understand the concept of small sample sizes and randomness that influence any human endeavor, but in particular the sport of baseball. If you're not familiar with the term, "stupid fans" they are an unfortunate part of fandom. Everyone knows fans that are clearly less intelligent than them when it comes to thinking, writing, or talking about sports. You may even enjoy being smarter than them about sports, but it certainly is frustrating when they have a huge national platform. But yeah, "stupid fans:" I'm trademarking that shit. Just coined it here on the spot.

Our friend Billy then talks about how Peyton Manning's continued goodness at football proves that he's really good at football and Kobe Bryant won the basketballing championship of the national association or some such thing--not sure what sports league he's talking about there. And then he drops this gem:

"Read those previous three paragraphs again. (Actually, read them for me. I am covered in smoke because my flesh is on fire. I can't see my laptop. [ed. note: jokes, ha!]) Imagine you're me. You have a sports column. You're a passionate guy. You care a little too much about sports. You're all about the Boston teams. You love getting riled up about players who you feel are either selfish, overrated, attention hogs, bad teammates, transparent or whatever. You always believed that Manning would choke when it mattered, that A-Rod was a fraud, that Kobe's selfishness would trump his talents. These realities are no longer true.

Do I feel empty inside? Yeah, a little."


And bam I stopped reading. Literally haven't gotten any farther than that sentence, because it just shows when you give a Boston sports fan a national column. Boston sports fans have been blessed with a string of very successful teams over the last decade, and so to a certain extent the appeal that Simmons' writing probably originally had as the voice of the lovable loser, who approaches sports with some hope but a healthy amount of pessimism, is now irrelevant. There is no more claims to years of suffering to be offered up by the people in New England, and they probably miss that a bit. But what they miss, and what Simmons misses (if I may put on my armchair psychologist's cap for a minute) is not the suffering per se. It is the ability to Lord that suffering over everyone else. If you're arrogant and obnoxious (and Massholes can't really help that--it is stamped into the very fiber of their beings) when your teams are good then you're just a huge fucking dickhead. That is what Boston fans are at this point, and why they have surpassed fans of my own native city in national detestability. But if you are arrogant and obnoxious when your teams are bad, and are specifically arrogant about the badness of said teams, well then you get to feel superior to others while not being directly hate-able since your dickishness is tinged with a bit of sympathy for your suffering. The problem of course is that I really think Simmons and others of his brood actually think that their suffering is more deeply felt or more important than that of other people.

And so no, Bill Simmons, I will not imagine I'm you. I will not try to put myself in your shoes and feel your "sports suffering" (another gem I just came up with; refer to my glossary if you are not familiar with this term). I have my own thank you very much and it is not better or worse than yours; it just is. So don't lay some Bostony guilt trip on me about how you feel empty inside. I already knew you were empty inside, because you see, sir, you have no soul.

No comments: